January 2, 2022 — By Wendy Sachs
The countdown began, the champagne flowed. We are optimistic and hopeful for a shiny new year! We made resolutions, and then sometime end of January, beginning of February we forget, get discouraged, or just plain give up.
Let’s give each other a break this year! It’s been rough. Let’s think about a few resolutions that are easy and attainable but still pack a punch.
- Unplug from technology for an hour a week. The benefits of this are enormous. Research shows us over and over that increased tech time leads to sleep problems, stress, inactivity and a lack of empathy. The trick to make this unplugging attainable is to start slow. Choose an hour each week, maybe Sunday morning or Saturday evening, and turn off all those devices and screens and do something together. Play a board game, read a book, take a nap! Just practice getting over the anxiety of social media and needing to answer that email right this minute. It takes practice!!
- Move every day! Often New Year’s promises have to do with exercising. We head to the gym in January and by February we are exhausted trying to add in one more task to a busy week. Instead of joining the gym, just try to move more every day. Walk a few extra steps each day. Park a little farther away when doing errands. Take a walk with the kiddos, just around the block if time is crunched! Just make it a priority to move your body purposefully each and every day.
- Write notes. Take a minute once a week to write a short note and give it to someone you care about. Expressing joy and gratitude is good for the soul. Leave a sweet love note for your partner. Pop a funny joke in your kiddo’s lunch box. Express your thanks for the trash guy or your neighbor who is so kind to the kids. A little note takes 5 minutes to write and means so much to the recipient; it’s an investment in relationships and happiness.
- Small changes to save the Earth. Doing something good for the planet doesn’t have to be a big undertaking. Could you walk to the store instead of driving? Could you use a reusable bag when running to the market or Old Navy? Can you buy something second hand instead of new? Line dry a load of laundry each week this summer? There are so many small things we can do, strive to make a small change each month this year.
- Drink more water. The average American drinks less than 5 glasses of water a day. We are supposed to be drinking at least 8!! Water is so important for your health in so many ways. And it’s such a good habit to pass on to the kiddos!! Get a cute new water bottle and carry it with you whenever you can. Drink a glass of water before having dinner. Add a water break instead of a coffee break to your morning. Put a larger glass in your bathroom and drink a glass of water each time you brush your teeth. Whatever works for you!
Most of all choose a habit or two and do the best you can. Celebrate your successes and don’t feel pressured by all those Instagram influencers perfectly photographing the perfect life. Just find your own joy!